The top of this page.
Skip to main content
Sakai city


Main content is from here.

Historic sites

Yamaguchi Residence

Yamaguchi Residence

The Yamaguchi residence is thought to have been built soon after the battle between Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1615, when Sakai was burned to the ground. The structure evokes the atmosphere of a wealthy merchant's residence and is an extremely valuable example of the architecture of the early Edo period. It was designated an Important Cultural Property in 1966.

  • Take the Hankai Line and get off at Ayanocho stop.
  • Address: 1-2-31 Nishikino-cho-Higashi, Sakai-ku, Sakai City

The site of Sen-no-Rikyu's Residence

The site of Sen-no-Rikyu's Residence

Born in 1522 the oldest son of a wealthy Sakai townsman (in Shukuinnishi) and named Yoshiro, Sen-no-Rikyu began studying the way of the tea ceremony under Kitamuki Dochin at the age of 17. He went on to study under Takeno Jo-oh and pioneered the "wabicha" style of tea. The site of his residence also includes the Tsubaki Well.

  • Take the Hankai Line and get off at Shukuin stop.
  • Address: 1-17-1 Shukuin-cho-Nishi, Sakai-ku, Sakai City

Old Gunsmith's House (Not open to the general public.)

Old Gunsmith's House

After Tachibanaya Matasaburo brought to Sakai the gun manufaduing method from the island of Tanegashima to Sakai, the region went on to become Japan's largest producer of matchlock guns. Currently this important building is the only extant gunsmith shop from the Edo period.

  • Take the Hankai Line and get off at Takasu-jinja stop.
  • Address: 1-3-22 Kitahatago-cho-Nishi, Sakai-ku, Sakai City

Old Sakai Lighthouse

Old Sakai Lighthouse

(Due to ongoing preservation and repair work that is scheduled to be completed in March 2007, this site is not currently open to visitors.)

This wooded, hexagonal Western-style lighthouse stands 11.3 meters tall and is located on old Sakai Harbor's southern seawall. The structure was funded with donations from the citizens of Sakai. Completed in 1877, the lighthouse helped protect ships as they came and went from Sakai Harbor for nearly 100 years. The progressive reclamation of land from the sea forced its closure in 1968. It remains today as one of the symbols of Sakai and has been designated a national historic site in recognition of its status as one of Japan's oldest wooden Western-style lighthouses. (The interior is not open to the general public.)

  • Take the Nankai Line and get off at Sakai Station.
  • Address: 5-1-22 Ohamakita-machi, Sakai-ku, Sakai City

Ryujoshinzo, Princess Otohime-Princess of the Dragon Palace

Ryujoshinzo, Princess Otohime-Princess of the Dragon Palace

Placed in front of the Ohama Acquarium for the fifth Domestic Industrial Exhibition held in 1902, the statue was removed when the aquarium was closed and torn down due to the construction of the area's coastal industrial zone following the destruction of the area by the No. 2 Muroto typhoon. The Statue of the Dragon Goddess was restored as a symbol of peace and prosperity on the occasion of the celebration of the 110th anniversary of the incorporation of Sakai in the year 2000.

  • Take the Nankai Line and get off at Sakai Station.
  • Address: Kita-hato-tottei, Sakai-ku, Sakai City

Hamadera-koen Station

Hamadera-koen Station

Originally built in 1907, this beautiful wooden station building remains standing today. The structure, which brought together many of the colorful design conventions of the Meiji era, was designed by Dr. Tatsuno Kingo, who is also responsible for the red-brick appearance of Tokyo Station. There is also a gallery located to the right of the station building.

  • Take the Nankai Line and get off at Hamadera-koen Station.

Old Tenno Reservoir

Old Tenno Reservoir

Built in 1910, this facility was active as a waterworks and service reservoir for about 50 years. It is an architecturally important and valuable structure due to its superb design and craftsmanship, including the use of bricks, a new building material at the time, and the incorporation of a triumphal arch design into the facade.

  • Take the Nankai-koya Line and get off at Sakaihigashi Station.
  • Address: 3-78 Nakamikunigaoka-cho, Sakai-ku, Sakai City
This is the end of the main content.



Below is footer from here.
Copyright © Sakai City. All Rights Reserved.
This is the end of footer.Back to the top of this page.